Monday, October 20, 2008

* Highway of Death






I have always wanted to see the Highway of Death in Kuwait.






I know its to the far end of Kuwait & near Basra (Iraq). I have always seen haunting pictures of dead/corroded vehicles over the internet. This road#80 was destroyed by the American attacks using aristrikes on Feb 26th 1991 when around 2000 iraqi people/soldiers were trying to flee kuwait.This place looks like a graveyard of civilian vehicles. I even checked the exact location of this place via google map.

Does anyone know how many people died during this war?

Thank God i was home in my country with my beloved ones.

I was a kid then and didnt think much about whats going on in this part of the world......
But i love Kuwait no mater what because this country has given me everything. I always dreamt to come back to Kuwait in those days......we had left back our apartment and all our belongings and travelled back to our country when this country became unstable & unsafe............i feel sorry for the disaster that happened here. i feel sorry i had to leave my beloved Kuwait when it was in trouble.........i was just a kid and didnt know whts happening.
Kuwait is a land of dream come true.......It has never dissapointed anyone......any expatriate who comes here with a dream to make money returns back happily. Our family was here in the early 70's onwards. I still remember the site of small roads and the construction work of bridges in Kuwait on my way to school. Kuwait had small houses and there were lots of Bedouin in the desert walking along with their cattle..........i still recall those old days....
We are all thankfull to the Kuwaiti people here and the Royal ruling family of Kuwait to be kind enough to let us live here.
I rememeber the Kuwait National Anthem which we heard everyday at school. I can still sing it without a mistake...
Kuwait, we are all proud of u to come back to ur glory even though u had the toughest part in ur history!
Over & all
...........i was born here !

2 comments:

Desert Girl said...

Hi. It is the extension of 4th Ring Road (turns into 80) through Mutlaa Ridge towards Abdali/Iraq. There is nothing to be seen there now. Everything has been removed.

What you can see if you visit there now at sunset is a beautiful view of Kuwait City on the other side of the bay. With the weather getting cooler, it is a great spot for a picnic.

bindu said...

Vinz - thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Glad you liked the little cat pictures. It's too bad you are allergic to them. We have two, and can't imagine life without them! Interesting posts from Kuwait ...